Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Shadow Files Win2003 Server to Win2003 Server?

charlie809

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Shadow Files Win2003 Server to Win2003 Server? Reply with quote

We have two Win2003 servers that we have connected via VPN. There are not any other machines, WinXP, or otherwise on either network. The servers have MySQL databases that require a one-way backup whenever there is a change on the master server.

I figured that I would experiment with the Slave server first by enabling "shadow file" on a shared drive, on a local server. I can see that the server created the shadow file in the "disk properties", but I can't see the files or don't know how to restore them or copy them using ViseVersa.

Basically I have two issues:
1) I don't know enough about File Shadow, dispite taking hours weeding thru Microsoft's web site.

2) I am new to ViseVersa and have to meet a deadline and my back is up against the wall.

I would be greatful if someone would kindly share their knowledge with me either through this forum or even better, chat with me on the phone for a few minutes. I reside near Chicago in the Central Time zone and normally work during the day. However I would be happy to work with your schedule.

Thanks very much for your consideration!

Charlie
Naperville, Illinois USA
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViceVersa will create the shadow copy for you. You just enter source and target folder (the target folder being the folder over VPN) and then in the advanced settings select 'Use Volume Shadow Copy to copy open files' for source. When you run a backup or replication, VV will create a new shadow copy for source and copy the files from it.

If you want to use an existing shadow copy (not created by Viceversa), you will need to mount it or you can use its root name. You can list the available shadow copies with the command vssadmin list shadows.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
robert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: volume shadow on very large data files Reply with quote

two issues having on my vise versa evaluation

1. I still get "file in use by another application" even though i have the checkbox checked to use Volume Shadow Copy. This is a deal killer if can't backup open files.

2. Does viseversa make a complete shadow before copying of data? We have 1Tbyte of Data to be mirrored to another machine, but don't have another 1Tbyte of free space for the first time pass on mirroring? Will viseversa ask file by file for a Volume Shadow copy or all at once.

Thanks, and hope this forum is active!
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:
1. I still get "file in use by another application" even though i have the checkbox checked to use Volume Shadow Copy. This is a deal killer if can't backup open files.

Is this for source files or for target files? If you activated shadow copies for source VV will copy source files even when in use and you should not see this message. Note that if the destination file is in use, it can not be replaced. Does not matter if you use shadow copies or not. A file can never be overwritten if in use.

Quote:
2. Does viseversa make a complete shadow before copying of data? We have 1Tbyte of Data to be mirrored to another machine, but don't have another 1Tbyte of free space for the first time pass on mirroring? Will viseversa ask file by file for a Volume Shadow copy or all at once.

Yes, shadow copies is always done by volume, it cannot be done by folders. But Windows will not require an entire copy of the volume, it will not shadow files, until they are modified.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum