Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

How does it determine what to delete?

xpac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: How does it determine what to delete? Reply with quote

I have two directories that we were synchronizing on two different servers (one in San Diego and one in Washington DC). One weekend our connection failed (T1 provider had an outage) and several files did not copy over from San Diego to Washington. When it finally ran on Monday, this particular tool decided that the files that did not copy over to Washington had in fact been deleted, so it proceeded to delete all the files off the San Diego server as well. Now we were able to recover off of tape, however I'm looking for a replacement tool since obviously I can't spend all my time restoring off of tape backups. So far your product looks great, just wondering if maybe you can break it down for me how it deletes, or better yet what method of synchronization I should use. Basically the directories are writable to people in both offices, but San Diego is where they are backed up to tape - so I guess the "source" is the San Diego server. Please advise when you have a chance, I realize this is a little wordy so please let me know if you need me to clarify. Thanks!
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, the best execution method is Synchronization in VV PRO 2. VV uses a database to track changes and file deletions. If a file was present in a folder the previous run and now is no longer there, VV knows it was deleted, by comparison with its internal database. Even if a connection drops during a sync, VV is resilient to failure, careful to leave replicas and its own private structures in a sensible state at all times, even in case of abnormal termination or communication failures.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum