Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Backup method with detection of moved files

thor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Backup method with detection of moved files Reply with quote

Normally I am using the backup method (Mirror source to target). What I am missing is the ability to detect a moved file in the source folder which was already backuped to the target some time before. This would be a great optimization because less files would have to be tranfered.

Example:
    I sync with method "backup" my video folder to an external disk: C:\videos ---> W:\sync\videos

I just move a certain video in the source folder to another folder in the subtree or I rename a folder on the source folder:
    e.g. C:\videos\jamesbond ---> C:\videos\james_bond

When I backup again with VV the files on the target in W:\sync\videos\jamesbond are deleted first and then copied again to W:\sync\videos\james_bond as if they were completely new files. But they had been already been there on the target - it would had been enough just to change the folder name (or e. g. move a file from a folder to a different folder).

Ok, this functionality requires a small database file on both sides to detect changes like those described above. But especially when backing up large files like a video archive this would be very useful because only new files have to be transferred.

I already made good experiences with a synchronisation software which provide such a feature. As far as I could see the detection of moved files worked without any problems.

However it would be great if VV would provide this feature, too. It would be a very useful function for many customers and would help to speed up synchronisation tasks more than every other improvement. And of course: My video sync would be much faster because I often move videos from on folder to another one! Wink

Thorsten
    TGRMN Software
    Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be added to ViceVersa but, in our opinion, is a bit unsafe. Assuming that a file has been moved is a bit of an assumption. It could be a file of same name, size and timestamp but with different content. To make sure it has the same content, ViceVersa would need to calculate the file hash of both files such as MD5 or SHA which would take the same time as moving the file again...
    http://www.compareandmerge.com
    thor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right that it is a bit unsafe. However this could be an option for user who have no problem with this small risk of a "false" move. If name, size AND time (!) is the same it is very unlikely that anything has changed.

Anybody who likes to be sure because he does not know if anybody else changed a bit and modified the timestamp could easily deactivate this option to be sure that VV works like in the past.

Thorsten
    TGRMN Software
    Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right, it could be an extra option with explanation of the risk behind it.
    http://www.compareandmerge.com
    Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Wish List All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
    You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum