Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

File Time Stamp of Source vs Target off by 1 Second

jpstrzoch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: File Time Stamp of Source vs Target off by 1 Second Reply with quote

Good evening,

I'm using ViceVersa Pro 2.5, Build 2501 on a Windows 7 Professional OS, 4 GB Ram, Intel Cor 2 Duo CPU 3.00 GHz.

I using the Backup (Mirror Source to Target). My source has 35,391 or 26.58 GB in size. When I Execute the Backup, and then rerun immediately following a full backup, I see that 14,669 files have a newer Timestamp on the Target. It is exactly 1 second after the Timestamp on the Source.

What is that?

Do I have an incorrect setting?

Please help, it is taking hours to do a backup now because it doesn't match.

Please advise.

Thank you.
James J. Pstrzoch
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, use option :
Ignore up to 2 seconds difference between files in the profile settings. Are you seeing 2 seconds difference between files in source and target that should instead have the same timestamp? This is an incompatibility between FAT and NTFS file systems. FAT and NTFS are two file systems used by the Windows operating system. FAT, (V)FAT and FAT(32) maintain a file's timestamp to an accuracy of two seconds whereas NTFS is accurate to the millisecond. So when files are copied from an NTFS drive to a FAT drive or viceversa the timestamps can change by up to 2 seconds but the files remain the same. With ViceVersa you can work around this issue by activating the option "Ignore up to 2 seconds difference between files": all files with a timestamp difference up to 2 seconds will be considered as having the same timestamp.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
jpstrzoch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

Thank you for the quick reply! Very much appreciated! Question, I do not see the, "Ignore up to 2 seconds difference between files", election under the Profile Settings. I do however, see under "Change Profile Settings", "Copy files even if timestamp changes after initial comparison". This is presently unchecked in my profile. Too, I see under View\Preferences that, "Automatically detect NTFS/FAT issue and adjust profile comparison settings accordingly", is checked.

So both sound like what you are referring to but I'm unsure of what to do and if I elect the, "Copy files even if timestamp changes after initial comparison" I am doing myself no good. I don't want the backup to take hours I want it done in seconds if run every hour, copying only the different files.

How can I get away from this entirely without fooling the system? Does it necessitate a different external drive?

Upon review of my source file system, it is NTFS, while my target is an older external drive, using exFAT.

Let me know your opinion.

Thank you once again for your reply!
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, the option is in ViceVersa PRO -> change profile settings -> comparison.
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum