Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Decrypting restore onto Lenovo X1 5th gen fails

JPB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Decrypting restore onto Lenovo X1 5th gen fails Reply with quote

Hi -

I've used ViceVersa 'forever' (at least 7/8 years). When I upgrade to a new laptop every so often, I follow these steps to copy my documents onto the new machine:

a) Create an encrypted backup from my old PC onto a NAS server, mounted as an SMB disk.

b) Install ViceVersa on my new machine, and use it to decrypt and copy the backup on the NAS.

This has worked flawlessly, time and again, until now. All machines are running Windows 10, with latest updates installed.

When I attempt to do step (b) above, with my Lenovo X1 5th gen, I am almost immediately hit with error after error of "AES Failed Decryption" or some such error indicating the decryption failed.

If I do steps (a) and (b) above, but don't ENCRYPT, things work absolutely fine. So it's limited to the encrypt/decrypt path.

If I do steps (a) and (b) above, but instead of using the new Lenovo as the target machine, use an older machine that's slower, but still running Win10 with all the updates, it works fine. So there's something specific to the newest Lenovo PC

After an hour or so of frustrating trial and error, I did something I never did before: I got a copy of GoodSync, and used it instead of ViceVersa for steps (a) and (b) above. It did encryption, it did decryption, to my new laptop, just fine. So maybe GoodSync uses different encryption algorithms, and the problem is with the Lenovo, or maybe there's something about the Lenovo that breaks ViceVersa (implementation of a new API? Running too fast and exposing a timing issue?)

As a final note, I tried reducing the buffer size, forcing a write to disk, etc. as suggested in another thread on decryption errors from many years ago. The changes didn't work for me.

Any thoughts here?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you try decrypting to a different drive attached via usb to the Lenovo? From the description you provided, the issue can only be with the Lenovo PC, not with the NAS or ViceVersa as it works if you decrypt to a different PC. What if you copy the encrypted folder from the NAS to the lenovo (part of the folder if too big) but using Windows Explorer and then decryot locally Lenovo to Lenovo? Does that work? If it does it would be a network issue from the Lenovo PC.
thanks!
http://www.compareandmerge.com
JPB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: Cause not quite found, but problem removed Reply with quote

Hi -

The morning after posting my initial note, I started having (pale blue) "Blue Screen of Death" issues. I had installed a number of software packages as my computer was new; one of them might have caused a problem.

I reformatted the disk and installed Win 10 Pro from scratch, and the first application I installed after re-applying various updates and patches to Windows 10 and installing my hardware-vendor specific drivers, was Vice Versa.

Everything copied fine, using the same VV configuration I used before. Also, since re-installing my system, the blue screen of death no longer appears.

At this point, I will assume that the error was a side effect of whatever error was causing that other problem, as both issues went away.

Thanks for your prior reply!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum