Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Backup (Mirror Source to Target) file deletion question

thatfridgeguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Backup (Mirror Source to Target) file deletion question Reply with quote

I see that the Backup (Mirror Source to Target) method states that: * All deleted files/folders in Source are deleted from Target

What happens with files that exist in Target but not Source when the job is first run? Are those also deleted or are they left in the Target?
thatfridgeguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: clarification Reply with quote

The source and target are both being actively written to. What I need to do is consolidate the source into the target at which time all new writes will go to target only and source will be deleted.
thatfridgeguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it work for me to using mirroring to copy the source drive into a folder on the target drive and not touch the other folders in the root of the target drive?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, what type of synchronization and file copying do you need between source and target? thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Alice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a 'one off' update/consolidation i.e. update the Destination with 'unique/missing' or 'more up-to-date' files from the Source, then maybe you need 'Execution Method ':

Replication (Update)
* All new files/folders added to Source (single files) are copied to Target
* All updated files in Source (newer) are copied to Target (older)
N.B.: Files deleted in Source are NOT deleted from Target. This is different from the Backup method.

I would use that, but 'Enable Archiving' for the Profile so overwritten files in the Destination (i.e. those that are older than the copy of the same file in the Source) are available for a quick restore and/or make a full backup of both Source and Destination before you run any VV Job Smile. I'm working on the basis that files that exist in the Destination are not to be deleted if they do not exist in the Source.

Just a suggestion from what I understand of your question.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum