Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

A restriction to backup while an application is running

dave0judy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: A restriction to backup while an application is running Reply with quote

On several applications that I back up, while working in the application, their files are backed up periodically while the application is running. Because of this, errors are received in the application, that it cannot access the appropriate files, because VV is actively backing the files up.

I would like an option, or restriction in the VV Engine, that prevents backups while the application is still running, allowing the backups to begin only after that application has shut down.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it's possible with the VVEngine scheduling option:
Start only if this condition is true:

The as condition use something like:
"outlook.exe" isnotoneof running_processes
(start only if Outlook is not running)

See VVEngine help file for more info.

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
dave0judy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Run only after application shuts down Reply with quote

I may be missing something, but I could not find anything referring to "Start Only if this condition is true..." in the VVEngine options. I checked everything in the help, but could not locate anything pertaining to this either.

Can you advise exactly where I might find this option?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the option is in the scheduling settings of VVEngine 2.1, called "Start only if this condition is true". In the help is referred to as 'Start only if' condition. thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
dave0judy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Run only after application shuts down. Reply with quote

Ok, I am running V2.1 (Build 2100). On the profile I want this for, I first clicked on "Edit Schedule".

On the resulting schedule, I checked it again and cannot find anything that states "Start Only If" that allows an open entry. They basically refer to a specific option, allowing only a checkmark or drop down selection.

Next to this option, I clicked on "Help" and found under the "Special" section, only 2 items that begin with "Start Only If....". which again do not allow an open entry. They are:

1. ...All source & target folders in the profile are accessible.
2. ...Computer IP Address matches.

Possibly if you could provide the actual steps to get to this option, instead of just a quick response, I could better find this option.

Thanks,
dave0judy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Run only after application shuts down. Reply with quote

Ok, even though VVEngine advised my software was up to date, I checked it on the website and found that even though the version was still 2.1, the build had been updated from my 2000 to 2005. After updating it, I now find what you were referring to, allowing the entry that you provided.

Seems when the build is updated, the version number should be updated also, if that is what is being used at the criteria for reference.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum