Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Folder timestamps in target are different from the source

JAD1957

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Folder timestamps in target are different from the source Reply with quote

After using ViceVersa first time, I imediately noticed that the folders in the target didn't had the same timestamp as the folders from the source.
This problem only affects folders, not files.
The more basic function that a backup/sync software has to do is to be sure that the pieces of data (folders, files) that are put in the target have to be equal to the source. I'm sure that the programmers of ViceVersa understand that the folder attributes/timestamps are also part of the folder characteristics. So, the folders that the software copies to the target device must have the same attributes/timestamps of the folders in the source.
This is like to have 2 boxes, one green and the other red, with the same dimensions and contents. They are not equal in spite of having the same contents.
This software is so powerful that I'm amazed that this problem hasn't been corrected yet. Is this bug to be corrected ?

Thanks
J Damiao
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes, this was implemented as an option since build 2510, please see:
http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict4076.htm
thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
JAD1957

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was out without acces to email for a couple of days, and only now could read your reply.
Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't noticed that option and for who can be interested, it is located in "Advanced Settings", "More Settings".

Still a comment:
if what should be expected from a backup/sync software is that the copied files/folders should be exactly equal to the originals, it looks to me that to keep folder timesrtamps should be implemented by default and not an option that I have to activate.

Thank you for your support and keep improving your excellent software.
JDamiao
thor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, retaining folder timestamps should be activated by default. Timestamps of files are also retained by default; why would anyone like to choose to alter the folder timestamps to the current date? This makes no sense in my opinion.

And this option should not be hidden in the "more option" panel. IMO it should be an immediate visible option right below the execution method pulldown menu.

Thorsten
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tips, Tricks and More All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum