Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

A new look more according to times?

TESTER USER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: A new look more according to times? Reply with quote

The software wears a very old-style. For when a new look according to modern times?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, for the time being we do not plan to update the look , but we do plan to improve functionality Smile thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
gigel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: yes, but... Reply with quote

yes, i agree that interface is quite rudimentary, but me as an enduser i prefer ugly software that does good backups instead of eyecandy that misses files.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the user-interface was updated in version 2.5 build 2510, however speed and reliability remains our top priority. thanks
OldUser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: User interface according to times. Reply with quote

Featuring and reliability is not against a modern user-interface. Don't you never see at your competitors?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes, you are rigth and yes we do look at competitors! Smile I think both the latest ViceVersa build 2511 and VVEngine have great and functional interfaces.
broose

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: GUI Reply with quote

I just bought ViceVersa Pro version 2.5 build 2511. Without complaint, I offer some UI suggestions, some trivial, some not.

Preface
None of this should be taken as criticism. Functionally, the product appeared to me to be better than anything else I found in the marketplace, in its space. This included comparisons to Microsoft Windows 7 Backup, NovaBackup, and Disk Replicator 3. Still, I had to think twice as it was clumsy to get through. Being a believer in eternal quality improvement, these are ideas that seem to this humble reviewer to be things that would make the product easier to sell, understand and to use. I leave it to the community to check my work and to holler as needed. Other comments in this topic have been met with a reply that speed, reliability, and functionality are the focus. I get that. But user interface is all those things, too, to your meat clients. I paid what I consider to be a premium price (not a bargain) for the functionality. I don't think it's too much to ask to make it easy -- or, gasp, a potential joy -- to use (which it is not now).

Sources and Targets
1. Single Source/Target
It unnecessarily complicates the GUI. A product that only supports a single item should operate for a single item. A product that supports multiple items should operate with (the possibility of) multiple items. The look can be for multiple items. Let the non-Pro users have a taste of what they're missing. If the selection is retained, it should not be made via a device that looks like a web browser link; it should be made via a pair of radio buttons (single and multiple) or a single check box. BTW, as it stands, the existing protection against losing multiple source/target items before switching to single mode is appreciated (but note that the check would not be necessary except for the UI design).

2. Change Profile Settings
Omit the link and its pop-up. There is plenty of screen space unused by the main window. The Profile Settings dialog already includes the needed source and target settings as its Folders section. Essentially, this dialog should be the main window not a pop-up from it. “One-stop shopping.”

3. The compare button should be two buttons – Compare and Execute – (as buttons are free, two would not require a drop-down, and Execute implies compare)

Profile Settings
1. Folders
The Switch to Single Source/Target View link should disappear for previously mentioned reasons.

2. File and folder filters
Perhaps those with more experience than I will say that lists of folders, filters, and exceptions work as well as a check-boxed tree structure but that's not obvious to me. The latter is much more common in other products with similar needs.

3. Advanced Settings
Forget the More Settings button (and its may-I-say-silly group surround): add its dialog's settings to the Advanced Settings dialog (and refactor the sections to make room for them if necessary). Scripts are a good candidate for their own section: their Details pop-ups could then be omitted, too. Similarly, E-mail notifications could deserve their own section.

Menus
File
1. Load could be Open: a profile is a file of directives just as a spreadsheet is a file of numbers and formulas. Load can imply doing something more than opening (which is not happening here).

2. Omit the Change profile settings (and maybe the View profile settings) menu items: these are actions we take on an opened profile in the GUI where all its actions can be provided. When working on a spreadsheet, we don't select a Change spreadsheet command from the File menu.

View
1. If we're going to have Compare here, we should have Profile settings, too (and then not under File).

Tools
1. Time Synchronization
Shouldn't time.nist.gov be an offered time server? Is it not the U.S. time god?

2. Archive Viewer
Links for Click Here to View SOURCE Archive Folder, Click Here to View TARGET Archive Folder, and Click Here to Refresh the File List all suffer the same weakness as mentioned for Single Source/Target selection and should be altered accordingly.

3. Import/Export Registry Entries
Import and Export should be separate menu items (possibly in the File menu). If retained as a single dialog, the may-I-be-so-blunt-as-to-say-silly-to-be-centered Close button should be dropped to its own line and the may-I-say-meaningless >>> characters should be removed. Finally, the Help button should not be the first item we encounter on the dialog (which it is for English speakers as we read from top to bottom and left to right).

General
1. Generally, a different or slightly larger font would improve legibility.

2. A toolbar would be nice. It could include icons for open, save, compare, and execute.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thank you for the detailed feedback. It will help us improving ViceVersa.
Please see some comments on some of the points you raised. thanks

Quote:
1. Single Source/Target

I think many users still use only one source / target pair. Keeping the single pair interface makes it easier to quickly select source and target. Agreed a radio button is probably more intuitive in the interface.

Quote:
2. Change Profile Settings

Not sure about this one. It could be useful but at the same time it could clutter the interface. Also some customers do not want users to "see" or be able to change settings (there is a password protection for this).

Quote:
3. Advanced Settings

Agreed. The amount of options is constantly growing, it makes sense to start creating new groups, like for scripts and e-mail notifications.

Quote:
View
1. If we're going to have Compare here, we should have Profile settings, too (and then not under File).

Yes, probably better, but under "File" we have everything related to a profile (load, save, view, change etc), probably would be useful to rename "file" into "profile".

Quote:
1. Time Synchronization
Shouldn't time.nist.gov be an offered time server? Is it not the U.S. time god?

I have logged this to be added in the next release.

thanks again.
Julia Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i also agree with gigel.
Vlad2989

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: A new look more according to times? Reply with quote

Its now end of 2017, and ViceVersa still going for that Windows 95 look ..
Its functionally great but UI is needs a facelift...

Would be nice to get a NEW UI/UX and perhaps a place in Windows Store on Win10 ?

TESTER USER wrote:
The software wears a very old-style. For when a new look according to modern times?
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are releasing the new version 2.6 soon with some changes related to support of high DPI / 4K displays, but overall we are not changing the UI. Version 2.6 will contain several new features. ViceVersa/VVEngine can handle millions of files in a side-by-side view, a Windows Store App would choke immediately on this much data and be a lot slower.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum