Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Can not read data. The parameter is incorrect.

dbasics

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Can not read data. The parameter is incorrect. Reply with quote

We recently purchased the ViceVersa to backup large amounts of data offsite. The backup is done between local and remote Windows 2003 machines through a dedicated connection between the remote networks.

It fails almost every night with random copy errors saying "Can not read data. The parameter is incorrect." The files exist in the target folder, however it has a modification date of 02/01/1982. The created and accessed dates are correct. The file is not corrupted, when opened it's the same file that is in the source folder.

I can copy the file over to the Target and the error does not appear during the next job. However, there can be anywhere from 2 - 100 of these errors in a single job. I'm wasting on average 2 hours a day, that I don't have, to fix these files.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

We are running ViceVersa Pro 2.5 Build 2504.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The error "The parameter is incorrect" may occur when a file over 4GB in size is being copied from an NTFS partition to a FAT32 partition. The max size of a file that can be stored on FAT32 is 4GB.

The same error may also occur when copying files to a SharePoint of a restricted type. For example, a SharePoint server may be configured not to allow .PST files to be copied to it.

If neither of these apply, it is likely caused by hardware errors and/or disk/file errors (corrupt data). This is a Windows error not caused by ViceVersa.

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
dbasics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files are small and everything is NTFS.

Frankly, I'm really inclined to think this is a ViceVersa error.

1. There are many past forums showing this same problem, but it was supposed to have been fixed with a previous version of the software.

2. The remote network is our disaster recovery network. We backup large amounts of data to the other network, using various methods, ViceVersa being just one. No other backup or file sync has had this problem.

3. We used to sync these same files using another program, never had the date issue.

4. No hardware problems are being reported on any of the servers.

5. We can't find any corruption in the file, with the exception of the new modification date on the remote network.

6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a Windows problem that causes file modification dates to be changed to 02/01/1982. In fact, doing a simple search only brings up the previous ViceVersa error.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think you may be right. ViceVersa implements a special way to copy files using a temp file and sets the timestamp to 1982 so that if anything goes wrong during the copy it is clear which file had the problem. Maybe try the option "Copy directly to destination file ...", it's in the profile settings -> advanced settings.

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum