Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Possible to ignore directory path and copy files to target?

Proven Guilty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Possible to ignore directory path and copy files to target? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to determine if this scenario is possible. What I would like to do:

-Source with directory structure (example, music archive with artist and album)
-Copy to Target as one giant pool of files without folders.

Is this possible? If so, how? I have experimented using the file and subfolder filters, but if I filter any folders, it ignores the data within the directories in the compare.

Since iTunes has an ability to organize my music library, I simply want to take my entire music archive and backup to an external storage drive without any folder/directory tree.

Example using *.mp3 for file filter:
-Source -- C:\music\abc group\album name\song.mp3
-Target -- D:\music\song.mp3

Thanks!
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it's a capability that is currently not available, which we are considering for a future release. thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
marwerno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it sort of is if you use it only for Backup:
Run a "comparison", between your source and a(ny) Backup folder.
Highlight all Files in the Source
Right click and select "Copy to" and untick "Replicate folder structure"
This at least allows you to copy all files without a path to a new destination.
Of course you would overwrite files that have the same name as well as you would need to do a full file transfer every time you do this since Vice Versa wouldn't know which files are there and which are not.
You might be able to utilize a little known secret under Windows:
When it asks you to if you want to replace existing files it will come with the prompt: Yes, Yes to all, No and Cancel.
If you hold the shift key and click "no" it is the same as "no to all" therefore saving quite some transfer time and clicking Smile

Alternatively: DON'T let I tunes sort/ arrange your music. Simply have one flat folder structure and let the MP3 tags do their work (I only name my MP3:
Artist - Song title - optional Album name if mutiple files.mp3
works perfect and I have all in one nice overview and can easily find stuff in it.
pat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to ignore directory path and copy files to targ Reply with quote

Proven Guilty wrote:

-Source with directory structure (example, music archive with artist and album)
-Copy to Target as one giant pool of files without folders.

There is a way to do what you want with the music player foobar2000 (aka foobar2k). Download the free program, open it, then drag-n-drop your entire music collection into it (or the root folder containing the collection). Once foobar has loaded all of the files, you can copy them into any other folder (including the top directory) by selecting all and dragging and dropping into a windows explorer window.

Alternately, you can use foobar's slick copy/move/rename utility by selecting all of the files and right-clicking, then File Operations...

Another alternative is to open the root folder in windows explorer, search for "*" (don't include the quotes; this is the wildcard for 'match everything'), select all of the files, then cut and paste into the root directory.

Hope that helps!
Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tips, Tricks and More All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum