Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Cannot create or replace "Filename". Access Denied

ajp.exploration@bigpond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Cannot create or replace "Filename". Access Denied Reply with quote

I have been successfully using VV to synchronise key user files between a workstation (Vista 64bit) and a laptop (Vista 32bit) across a LAN for quite a while. Recently, I have changed the workstation to Windows 7 64bit; and upgraded to VV2.5.

For files being copied to the laptop, I now get the error : "Can not create or replace 'Filename'. Access is Denied. Error." ... it looks like a permissions issue. However I can manually copy the files (with Windows Explorer) without any issues. I have checked the firewall, sharing and write permissions etc and have not found any obvious reasons : am I missing something?

Please advise.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem if using a new folder on the laptop instead of the existing one (as a test) ?
http://www.compareandmerge.com
ajp.exploration@bigpond.c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes : I get the same issue when I create a new folder (and place a new file into it) on the laptop (under 'My Documents') : it will synchronise Laptop to Workstation, but when I update the file on the workstation it results in the same error when trying to copy the new file version back to the laptop.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

try running ViceVersa with full elevated admin rights (right-click on the ViceVersa icon and then select "Run as Administrator" from the menu): same error?

thanks
ajp.exploration@bigpond.c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: [Can not create or replace "Filename". Access is D Reply with quote

Yes : Same problem even when running as Administrator
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, can you please write to support@tgrmn.com , we would like to send additional instructions on how to activate full debugging mode.
thanks
janj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem as ajp.exploration@bigpond.c.

I have moved from Win XP to Win 7 and when using either ViceVersa Pro oc Plus (registered versions) I get the following message for some but not all files:
Can not create or replace ”G:/etc...”. The file could not be accessed.

I know there is a work around because it works on my first external USB disc but not on the my second.

I got it to work after some manipulating and reading the forum but I can not remember exactly what I did and I can not again find the suggestions in the forum.

Trying to run as Administrator I get the message that VV can´t be used for more than 30 days. However it's is registered an runs fine normally.

Please advice about what I have to do to get VV to work also on my second USB disc.

Thanks,
janj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the problem and got it to work.

Open Properities for the target disc (right click in Explorer). Then select tab Security.

Under Group or user names: select Users
In Permissions for Users I want to allow Full control.
Click Advanced and then Change Permissions, then Edit and tick the Allow box at Full control.
Click OK all the way out.

After doing this ViceVersa has worked fine for me.

Hope this will help Very Happy
rcoslow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Can not create, relpace or delete file - Access Denied Reply with quote

I change the security settings and it did not help
How do I fix this problem
daabutts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: ViceVersa Access Denied Error Reply with quote

When I go online and view a PDF, then save it as a PDF, and then run ViceVerse, it will not copy the PDF and gives the Access is denied error. Since everything else is working fine, it seems quite clear that the problem concerns the PDF file and not the target drive.

I am running the program as Administrator. It creates a .tmp file on the target like it is trying to copy, then it skips it, leaving the tmp file on the target. The ~w1.tmp file is 55K while the original PDF is 56K. I tried to rename the .tmp to PDF, but it gave me an error about not being able to find the file. It must be corrupt.

There doesn't seem to be anything seriously unusual about the security on the PDF. This does not happen on PDFs generated by my computer, such as when I print something.

I noticed that the file exists in the target folder next to the ~w1.tmp file. But it is corrupted as well. Therefore, it seems that the reason it can't rename the .tmp file is because it is already there? It is hard to say as I ran VV several times.

I moved the PDF files out of the synchronized folders ran VV. No problems. Then I cleaned up the target removing the .tmp and the corrupted PDF. Then I re-ran VV and it worked fine. I’ve been using VV for years. My settings:

Folders
- "…[removed personal references]…" (Include Subfolders)
- Create sources/targets that do not exist
- Exclude files: "*.tmp"
- Exclude empty subfolders
- Exclude hidden subfolders
- Exclude system subfolders
Comparison
- Comparison Type: Size and Timestamp
- Ignore 2 seconds difference
- Ignore any second difference
Execution
- Method: Synchronization
- No overwrite / read-only / error confirmations
- Tracking Database: "C:\ProgramData\ViceVersa PRO\vvdb1.tdb"
- No archive for deleted/replaced source files
- No archive for deleted/replaced target files
- Copy files even if timestamp changes after initial comparison
- Copy file/folder permissions
- Verify successful file copy by checking file CRC
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, could it be that the PDF file was corrupted once and after removing it now it will work? Not sure why it got corrupted, but...
thanks
daabutts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: [Can not create or replace ... Access is denied.] [ERROR] Reply with quote

I wrote above about a solution I found in removing the given PDF from the folder, running VV, and then putting it back, and then running VV and all worked. I spoke too soon. This doesn't seem to work now. And no, the pdf files are not corrupt, they are fine.

As I mentioned, I am running VV to sync folder on Win7 with folder on notebook Win8 and have been for years.

I have two types of files that will not copy: jpg and pdf. Not all of them, just some of them. The common denominator for the pdf files are that they are ALL downloaded from secure websites, such as bank statements. The PDFs themselves are not protected, as in by acrobat. The jpg files were from the CorelPhotoPaintX6 program, possibly created on the Win8.

I have worked on permissions up and down on both machines and cannot find any way to make it work. Other files are routinely copied to/from the folders by VV with no problem whatsoever. So, with the exception of these files, it all works fine. I'm a software engineer, not exactly a novice in regard to permissions. But it sure seems to be a permissions problem. I've searched the web for solutions, but no joy.

I tried to drag and drop the given file, having both folders open in WinExplorer. Windows simply ignores me. No error messages, no nothing, the file just doesn't copy.

I found that I was able to map the Win8 drive to V:, then using DOS Window, I could copy the file from Win7 to Win8, just like I wanted VV to do. This worked with a non-Administrator DOS window. Using a "run as administrator" DOS window, it couldn't find drive V!

Interestingly, I am able to use windows to copy it to a different folder. I am still unable to move it to the right folder remotely, it just ignores me. However, when moving on the target machine from the temp folder to the target folder, it asks me if I want to replace it! According to WinExplorer, it's not there! It is almost like VV had a problem copying the file, but left some residual of the file in the directory table that is causing a problem when it tries to copy it again? So, copying the given pdf file using WinExplorer to a temp folder on the remote computer, and then moving it on the remote computer, choosing to replace, works. But then going to VV and telling it to try to move the file (which now exists there) you get the error:
[Can not change attributes, time or date of .... The system cannot find the file specified.] [ERROR]. Doing a recompare shows that the file green on the Win7 source and nothing on the Win8 target. Usually, it would be green on source and red on target. Instead of red, it shows nothing.

Interesting, if I manually copy the file to a temp folder, then move it on the remote computer, then run VV compare, then tell it to copy the file across, it effectively HIDES the file on the target computer and looks like it has been deleted. I get the cannot change attributes error message. Then if I manually copy it again, it asks if I want to replace it, as if it is there!

Also, on the target computer, copying it doesn't work after VV does it's hide the file thing. It asks to replace, then asks for Admin permission, it acts like it copied it, and the file does not show in the target folder. However, if I move the file, it asks to replace and just does it, no permission question. Then finally the file shows in the folder.

After manually moving the file to the target folder via temp folder as described above, redo compare, VV still thinks there is a problem and it needs to replace the file. Green on source, nothing on target in the VV windows. It then proceeds to try to copy, hiding the file on the target and then giving error message.

I know this was some bit of rambling, but I hope it triggers something in TGRMN's minds...
RLK3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Very similar situation with .mdb (Access database) files Reply with quote

I am experiencing much of the same issues given in this discussion, but I specifically have a problem with some .mdb files. I am mirroring files from a source Windows 7 workstation through a VPN to a target Server 2012 where the server files are backed up nightly. I am running VVEngine, but stopping that service and running ViseVersa Pro manually gives the same result.

I checked to see if there were any permission issues but I show permissions as full control explicitly given for Administrator and for the account that I created for VVEngine.

Some .mdb files are not having any issues. I am unable to figure out what the difference in the files could be. Some are fairly large and others are small; some are replicated and some not; some that don't copy are in the same folder as some that do.

I have changed profile settings in many permutations, sometimes resulting in a change to error messages but not changing the outcome in copying files. Errors I have received while attempting to copy these files have included:

"Can not copy security descriptions (DACL) to file FileName.mdb. The request is not supported."

"Error renaming temp file <targetpath>\~vv1.tmp. Unable to rename <targetpath>\~vv1.tmp into <targetpath>\FileName.mdb. Cannot create a file when that file already exists," (though Windows Explorer shows no such file in existence).

Also...
"Connecting to '\\<server>' with user '<domain>\<ServiceUser>' ... '\\<server>' is not accessible using the credentials entered in the profile settings. Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again." (A "correct" or "incorrect" user did not seem to make much impact on the outcome. Even though I changed the account name and eliminated this error the same .mdb files failed to copy to the target; only the actual reported error changed, to as follows.)

"Can not create or replace '\\<targetpath>\FileName.mdb'. Access is denied."

One more thing that I can add: the original profile used to manage these files was set to synchronize the source and target. After realizing that I did not want the files to be changed on the server but only to be backups of the workstations I changed the profile to mirror the source to target. I cannot say when my problem began, but I believe that it was not immediately after that change, but I mention this in case there could be a connection.

Thanks in advance to anyone with an answer and to those who try.
jacobwilliam1985

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Cannot create or replace "Filename". Access Denied Reply with quote

Cannot copy Filename: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."
Same issue is faced by our user, who is using the Win XP edition and as we have file server, user is accessing the data from the file server.

Whenever user is delegating some files like moving, deleting or copying from one location to or one folder to another he is receiving same error as mentioned above.
As we checked the user has access to the specified files or folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tips, Tricks and More All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum