Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Archive issue with (what appears to be) Windows Server 2008

Logdan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Archive issue with (what appears to be) Windows Server 2008 Reply with quote

Hello all. Decent amount of VV use but a first time poster.

Setup: I use VV to have laptops and desktops backup a local folder to an on-site file server. All end user computers are runing Vista SP1 and the VVEngine is set to run as a service with an account that has local administrative rights and full control on the target. I do this so the VSS service can run and backup files in realtime. There is also an archive setup in the VV profile that keeps the last 10 copies of a modified file on the server.

Problem: When the file server was Windows 2003, the archive function worked fine. It would keep the last 10 copies and discard any over the 10th. Since then, the server has been changed to Windows 2008. All functions of VV work fine, except for the archive. The archived files that are supposed to be deleted are not, and stay on the server. The VV error log gives this message for each file that can't be erased.

2008-06-03 18:02:58 : Deleting file unc\*edited per company policy*archive test\archive test.docx_(2008-05-19_00-27-34_ove_t).docx [Can not delete "unc\*edited per company policy*archive test\archive test.docx_(2008-05-19_00-27-34_ove_t).docx". The system call level is not correct.] [ERROR].

I can't seem to find any information on this error. If there is any other information I can provide to help, please let me know.

Thanks
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, what version/build of ViceVersa PRO are the clients using? thank you
http://www.compareandmerge.com
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few things to check that could help us debug this issue:

- Under the ViceVersa main menu, view -> preferences, are you sending files to the recycle bin (option Use Recycle bin when deleting).

- Are you using \\?\UNC\ before the UNC path? Or just \\server\share\folder\ for the archive folder?

- When deleting a file from the target folder on the Windows 2008 server, instead of from the archive folder, does that work?

- When running the same ViceVersa profile not under the VVengine service, does it work OK?

- I suppose when you delete the same file using Windows Explorer from the client , it works OK?

thanks

P.S. May need to send you a special version to debug this, if we can't isolate the issue.
Logdan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Here are the answers to your questions...

what version/build of ViceVersa PRO are the clients using?
All clients are using ViceVersa Pro 2 Build 2014. We have a mix of 32 and 64 bit clients. I personaly have only worked on this issue using a 64 bit client.

Under the ViceVersa main menu, view -> preferences, are you sending files to the recycle bin (option Use Recycle bin when deleting).
Yes, this option is enabled.

Are you using \\?\UNC\ before the UNC path? Or just \\server\share\folder\ for the archive folder?
For both the Target path and the Archive target we are using \\?\UNC\. So the entry starts with \\?\UNC\server name here.

When deleting a file from the target folder on the Windows 2008 server, instead of from the archive folder, does that work?
If I understand correctly, if I erase something on my source, does it erase in the correct place on the target? If so, then yes, that does work.

When running the same ViceVersa profile not under the VVengine service, does it work OK?
Since Vista's UAC prevents me from running the profile directly (due to the VSS needing administrative rights) I can't say for sure. However, if I disable the VSS in the profile and then run it manually, I get the same error with the attempted archive file deletes.

I suppose when you delete the same file using Windows Explorer from the client , it works OK?
From Explorer, I can navigate to the server and delete the archived files manually with no issues.

Thanks for your response, and let me know if you need anything clarified.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Quote:
All clients are using ViceVersa Pro 2 Build 2014. We have a mix of 32 and 64 bit clients. I personaly have only worked on this issue using a 64 bit client.

If possible it would be good to know if this issue is related only to ViceVersa PRO 64-bit or both.

Quote:
Under the ViceVersa main menu, view -> preferences, are you sending files to the recycle bin (option Use Recycle bin when deleting).
Yes, this option is enabled.

Can you try disactivating this option, maybe the issue is related to the recycly bin.

Quote:
When running the same ViceVersa profile not under the VVengine service, does it work OK?
Since Vista's UAC prevents me from running the profile directly (due to the VSS needing administrative rights) I can't say for sure. However, if I disable the VSS in the profile and then run it manually, I get the same error with the attempted archive file deletes.

If you run the profile from ViceVersa PRO as Administrator ("Run as administrator") with VSS activated , do you see the same issue?

thanks
Logdan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Quote:
If possible it would be good to know if this issue is related only to ViceVersa PRO 64-bit or both.
Working on this now. 64-bit related information below...

Quote:
Can you try disactivating this option, maybe the issue is related to the recycly bin.
Issue still persists. Also tried with the below "Run as Administrator" request as well.

Quote:
If you run the profile from ViceVersa PRO as Administrator ("Run as administrator") with VSS activated , do you see the same issue?
Yes, the issue persists using this method as well.
Travelcard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting this issue too on a server 2008 machine using a 64bit build 2015.
Travelcard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Logdan, if you have a copy of 64bit 2014 can you please let me know as ViceVersa have lost theirs and I need it to fix the problem on this thread:

http://www.tgrmn.com/web/forum/viewtopict2370.htm

Thanks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum