Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

rsync functionality, copy just part of files.

broddi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: rsync functionality, copy just part of files. Reply with quote

Hi, I'm using the registered version of the program (ViceVersa2). I like how it works but I have problems with .pst files. I want to backup .pst files (some of them up to 3 Gigs in size) from XP machines to a 2003 File Server. It is a little too much to copy the hole thing every day or so. I've found a old but well versed program called rsync that can copy just the bytes that have changed in the file. This reduces the amount of data that is transmitted. Also a problem with rsync it does not use the ShadowCopy service to copy files in use. Anyway I just wanted to ask if it possible to implement this kind of functionality into ViceVersa?

Cheers from Iceland.
Ash99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Great Idea but Reply with quote

I think that would be a great addition to the software and here is another. Sametimes when you are doing a sync you lost connection and you have to restart the copy of a large file, how about a resume where is restarts where it dropped off. Cool Cool
ego123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rsync functionality (minimize traffic on connection line) is also my number one priority enhancement beside configurable handling of ntfs junctions (symbolic links).
Douglasl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put my vote in for this feature!
badon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been nearly 6 years since this was first requested. Not having the ability to backup only changes to large files means that 1 single file can take most of the time to backup. The ability to backup changes like rsync can do is the only major feature missing from ViceVersa. I have been asked several times to write an article about data backup techniques, and the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I want to write about ViceVersa, and I want to wait until ViceVersa has this feature.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum