Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Problem with Start Scripts

bdimes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Problem with Start Scripts Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with the Start script. My situation:

I have a server which is co-located in a data center. It's used as a web server and application server. I installed ViceVersa pro on that box to drive backups FROM that machine TO my local LAN where I have a VPN server and a NAS setup to hold the backup.

My problem: I need the start script to initiate the VPN connection FROM the server it's running on (source of files) TO my LAN in this office (destination of files).

At first, I thought the start script wasn't running at all. But after further testing, I found that it does run, but in the wrong order. ViceVersa FIRST connects to the destination drive, THEN runs the start script. I need the start script to build the connection to the destination drive. Your docs indicate that in many cases, this is the purpose of the start script.

Since the destination can't be reached, the whole profile fails. I'm guessing you must assume that VV will be running on the destination system, not the source. I am using my first copy of VV (I purchased 2) in that way to back up my local LAN to the NAS.

I don't want to set up a VPN on that remote server. It's got a lot of stuff already going on (web server, virtual server w/web access, application server, etc.)

How can I make the start script run at the start so it can build the network connection to my destination?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
bdimes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Possible Resolution Reply with quote

I think I found a work-around. After some testing, I found that if I tell VV to "Connect using the following credentials", then it attempts to connect first, then run the start script (causing my problem as it can't connect without the VPN connection in the start script).

If I tell VV to "Connect using default user's credentials", then it runs the start script first, then attempts to connect. So I run it under my user context and make sure to navigate to the resource and "Save my password" using Windows file explorer. It seems to "remember" these credentials when running later under the service and all works fine.

One further note. After I found this workaround, I ran into one other problem. I got an error indicating no network access was available to my target. It seems that it takes a few seconds to let the VPN connection get its routing registered and VV jumps in before it's ready. So I built a 10 second delay into my batch file and all seems well.

This may help others - My start batch file looks like this:

rasdial NameOfmyVPNConection MyDomainName\MyUserName MyPassword
CHOICE /C AB /D A /T 10 >NUL
EXIT 0

I "cheat" the CHOICE command to get a 10 second delay before continuing. You might need to look at CHOICE /? as the parameters are slightly different between OS's.

My end batch file is simply:

rasdial NameOfmyVPNConection /DISCONNECT

Hope this helps others.

Thanks,

Bill
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill

thanks for posting this.

Indeed when using "Connect using the following credentials", that will happen before the start script runs.
Instead of using "Connect using the following credentials", you could use the command NET USE in the start script to build the connection.

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum