Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Slow file comparison over LAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Slow file comparison over LAN Reply with quote

Hello,

I am using ViceVersa Pro 2 (Build 2014) to make bi-directional synchronization between my Laptop and my Desktop computer over LAN (Gigabit).
I found the time needed to compare my files very long. It takes about 15 min to scan the 130.000 files (about 30 GB) remotely on the laptop compared to about only 10 sec of the same amount of files on my desktop computer. ViceVersa is running on the desktop computer and the laptop drive is accessed by a mapped network drive.
During the 15 min file comparison the CPU, network and hard disk loads are very low (around 1% only) on both machines, even if the priority of ViceVersa is set to high. So, it seems not to be a hardware limit, but a software issue. Also, the file copy goes fast enough (from 2 to 12 MB/s depending on the file size).
Are there some optimizations that can be done on the Windows network connection, in order to speed up the file comparison?
Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP 2 installed, they have both a fixed TCP/IP adress (192.168.0.1/2) and the Windows firewall activated.

Thanks
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

This indeed seems slow over an Intranet. Do you have any virus scan or other resident software that could interfere with the scanning? Are you using CRC comparison (or both comparison)?

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

sorry for the late response.
I have Norton Antivirus installed on the laptop. I disabled the antivirus program on both machines, without any effect.
Otherwise I am not using CRC or both comparison.
Other resident software are the Windows firewalls on both computers.

I don't think that the problem comes from resident software, since the processor load on the laptop in below 5%.

Any idea ?

Thanks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum