Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

mirror files one at a time?

RandomGuy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: mirror files one at a time? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in the process of troubleshooting some issues with the Vice Versa Pro 2 software for our office. Currently we have it set up to mirror-copy files from one server to another across a WAN with ViceVersa being installed on the destination server, and also the files are encrypted on the destination server. I run the backups in the evenings as a Windows service scheduled task, using my windows domain account for network access which has administrator level access over both servers. I am wondering if it is possible to set up the mirror-copy in a way that it will compare and then copy each file individually (similar to how robocopy works) instead of comparing them all at once and then copying them all at once?

Secondly I'm having problems with the program generating errors and terminating early without copying any files. One common error will say that a certain file or directory on the destination is corrupted and unreadable, even though I have no problem accessing the location from the server itself. Another error I get is when a file in the destination directory is not an *.enc file it will generate an error saying it does not have the required extension and I should delete it with windows explorer. Since this is a mirror image backup, it should just delete the file without asking any questions. So how can I get it to delete files that are not *.enc in the destination during a mirror-image backup run and also how can I get it to skip files that it is having trouble reading for whatever reason without terminating the entire backup routine?

Thirdly, I'm interested in creating a BAT script to run before the backup routine that will create a new log file each time it runs that includes the date of the run. Could you point me in the direction of a link that would have some useful example scripts written for Vice Versa Pro that I could use as a reference?

Thanks!
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:
I am wondering if it is possible to set up the mirror-copy in a way that it will compare and then copy each file individually (similar to how robocopy works) instead of comparing them all at once and then copying them all at once?

VV needs to compare the folders first. You could setup multiple profiles to have fewer files to compare in each profile.

Quote:
Secondly I'm having problems with the program generating errors and terminating early without copying any files. One common error will say that a certain file or directory on the destination is corrupted and unreadable, even though I have no problem accessing the location from the server itself.

Always on a specific folder?

Quote:
Another error I get is when a file in the destination directory is not an *.enc file it will generate an error saying it does not have the required extension and I should delete it with windows explorer. Since this is a mirror image backup, it should just delete the file without asking any questions. So how can I get it to delete files that are not *.enc in the destination during a mirror-image backup run and also how can I get it to skip files that it is having trouble reading for whatever reason without terminating the entire backup routine?

You will need to remove all the files not encrypted from the target first, VV does not that.

Quote:
Thirdly, I'm interested in creating a BAT script to run before the backup routine that will create a new log file each time it runs that includes the date of the run. Could you point me in the direction of a link that would have some useful example scripts written for Vice Versa Pro that I could use as a reference?

You could use variables in the log file for that, eg using c:\folder\<date>.log will create a log file with the run date. See help file for a list of variables supported.

thanks
http://www.compareandmerge.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for responding. To answer your question regarding the errors being generated, yes it does always seem to occur on the same folder in the destination directory. I'm still troubleshooting the issue to try to figure out why it is happening. But my question regarding this issue was whether or not there is a way I could get ViceVersa to just skip the problem folder and continue its backup job without stopping when it encounters one of these errors. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you could exclude the problem folder using subfolder filters (in the profile settings).
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum