Forum Index  ViceVersa HOME         FAQ and Knowledge Base

FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch Forum  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

VVEngine "home" directory confusion

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: VVEngine "home" directory confusion Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble with VVEngine directories on one of my servers (but not on the others).

When I first installed it, the VVEngine XML, log, and db were in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VVEngine

After installing it as a service, they moved to C:\Documents and Settings\Local Service\Application Data\VVEngine

I saw this on the forum and was able to find the files. Then, after having some trouble loading profiles and viewing the log file, I found that it is also sometimes using C:\Documents and Settings\Network Service\Application Data\VVEngine

I am not the only one confused; VVEngine seems to be as well. It is using the XML file Network Service and logging profile changes there as well. It is trying to view the log in Local Service, it's logging profile run summary information in Local Service, and it's not logging profile run information like "Compare finished," "Copied 8.9GB" (or what have you) anywhere that I can find.

Can someone please tell me what might be going on here?

Thanks,
Jon

P.S. I am *this* close to buying ten VV Pro and VVEngine licenses (despite the hassle of trying to work around the out-of-memory limitation on the number of files in a profile) if I can only convince myself that it is sufficiently stable.
TGRMN Software
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, under which account are you running the VVengine service?
If you open the VVengine home page in the browser, at the bottom of the page you have 'Show VVEngine Settings...', there it will show which log and xml VVEngine is using. The location of these files depends on which account is running VVEngine.

More info on service accounts from the Microsoft website:

<< Prior to the release of the Windows 2000 operating system, services that accessed resources on a network were required to use a domain user account to authenticate themselves to each remote server they used, because the Local System account could not authenticate across the network. With the release of Windows 2000, the Local System account was modified to allow authentication to network resources, just like domain user accountsbut it uses computer credentials for authentication instead. Remember, a computer account is essentially just a user account that does not have the UserAccountControl attribute, so computer accounts can log on and access resources just like a user account can. Because of these changes, the Local System account became one of the more common accounts to use for service deployment. With the release of Windows Server 2003, the situation changed again when two new built-in account types similar to Local System were added: the Network Service account and the Local Service account.

The new Network Service account also uses the computer's credentials when it authenticates remotely, but has a greatly reduced privilege level on the server itself and, therefore, does not have local administrator privileges. The new Local Service account has the same reduced privileges as the Network Service account, but as the name suggests, it does not have the ability to authenticate to network resources >>
http://www.compareandmerge.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum